"As we seek the Lord's help and in His strength, we can gradually reduce the disparity between what we say and what we do, between expressing love and consistently showing it, and between bearing testimony and steadfastly living it. We can become more diligent and concerned at home as we are more faithful in learning, living, and loving the restored gospel of Jesus Christ." David A. Bednar
True Blue Charmer
Friday, June 14, 2013
Emma: A Latter-Day Tale Review
This story follows the Jane Austen story line of Emma with a few subtle changes. These changes include names and a twist with the latter day values and morals. Emma is bent on matchmaking after successfully helping her Aunt Tanya marry. She finds Harri, short for Harriet, to be her first project for giving a makeover and a boost in finding her perfect soul mate. Like the Jane Austen version, the wrong man is picked and Emma spirals out of control on the decisions she makes in trying to influence for good, but rather makes more mistakes along the way.
Her best friend, Justin is there telling her constantly of her mistakes but she does not listen to him until the end when she realizes that she loves him and could possibly lose him.
I liked this Latter Day version of Emma. It held to the basic Jane Austen Story of Emma, but maintained a latter day perspective to it which I appreciated. I felt the author gave definition to the characters and I truly liked Justin. I could see him as a modern Mr. Knightley.
I felt that the story did drag just a bit waiting for certain things to happen but that could be because I knew the Jane Austen version of Emma and wanted to get to the next part of Emma. Also I wished there was a bit more romance between Emma and Justin. I felt the same with Jane Austen's version as well. You just love those two characters that you want more interaction between them through the story. Overall, this is a book that I will keep in my library to read again.
I was given a free complimentary copy from Cedar Fort, Inc for my honest opinion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment